Hounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» My sigs and Art
About the Breed: Mutt EmptyWed May 07, 2014 10:06 pm by Tic

» Chocolate Puddin'
About the Breed: Mutt EmptyWed May 07, 2014 10:43 am by Chocolate Pudding

» My Art pieces
About the Breed: Mutt EmptyWed May 07, 2014 8:46 am by Riley

» The Shack. (Main RP Area)
About the Breed: Mutt EmptyWed May 07, 2014 8:15 am by Henias

» Henias the police dog
About the Breed: Mutt EmptyWed May 07, 2014 6:45 am by Dog Keeper

» Character Biography Scorah
About the Breed: Mutt EmptyWed May 07, 2014 6:44 am by Dog Keeper

» Todd's Glory Days
About the Breed: Mutt EmptyTue May 06, 2014 11:09 pm by Dog Keeper

» Favourite books
About the Breed: Mutt EmptyTue May 06, 2014 11:09 am by Riley

» Favourite book covers
About the Breed: Mutt EmptyTue May 06, 2014 11:05 am by Riley

Chat my Minions
Visitors since April 2014
stats for websites

About the Breed: Mutt

Go down

About the Breed: Mutt Empty About the Breed: Mutt

Post by Dog Keeper Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:09 am

Mutt

The mutt represents the best of all worlds.

About the Breed: Mutt Max_400_mutt

Dog Breed Group: Mixed Dogs
Life Span: 8-15 years
Height: Varies
Weight: Varies

History:

Once upon a time, before man imprinted his preferences on the canine population, there wasn't much difference between one dog and the next. They were of medium size, brown, and most had short coats.

Even today, semiferal dogs who live on the edge of human life look somewhat alike. Climate doesn't seem to have much of an impact since similar-looking dogs show up from Australia to North America to Asia — though some have longer coats than others.

When it's hard to figure out a mutt's heritage it may be because they draw directly from this line of non-breeds who were never selectively bred. That is, they've never had a purebred ancestor.

But a lot of mixed breeds truly are mixed. That is, you can see a smattering of Australian Cattle Dog, or Beagle, or Collie in their coat or shape or size. Being able to identify contributing breeds can help give you some insight into their personalities, though of course it's only a partial story.

Personality:

Mixed breeds boast personalities as unpredictable and varied as those of their human owners. As with purebreds, the mixed breed's temperament is affected by a number of factors, including heredity, training, and early socialization.

Some mutts' heritage is impossible to decipher. If you find one particularly baffling, it may be because he comes from a long line of dogs who were never selectively bred. These mystery dogs are more accurately called non-breeds, than mixed breeds.

But a lot of mixed breeds truly are mixed. That is, you can identify a smattering of Australian Cattle Dog, or Beagle, or Collie. This means it's likely some of those breeds' traits are carrying through.

Sometimes that can work in your favor. A dog that appears to be a mix of Labrador and Border Collie, for instance, may have the easygoing friendliness of the first and the whip-smart agility of the second.

Or not.

With any blend, there's no guarantee you'll get the best traits of the contributing breeds. The only guarantee is that whatever you end up with is something unique and inimitable.

Facts:

*Tic, the character from Hounds is a Mutt.

*Your mixed breed, as with all dogs, is an individual. Don't prejudge his temperament according to his looks, or expect him to act a certain way just because he resembles a dog you once had as a kid. Love him on his own terms, and your love will be rewarded.

'Mutt breed information', Dog Breed Center, Dogtime,http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/mutt ,21 April 2014
Dog Keeper
Dog Keeper
Admin

https://hounds.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down